3.28.2011

The Great North Luzon Adventure, part 1

Before this trip, I had been to Baguio a total of three times -- twice in elementary for a leadership camp and a science camp, and then for a read-along session with Kristie Kenney in November 2008. The trips were rushed and business-related, though for the read-along we had a chance to go around a bit and eat at Oh my Gulay on Session Road and shop at the Baguio market after the event, but that was that.

And so, with my Baguio-newbieness in mind, when I got the invite last year for this year's Grand Northern Luzon Tour with Andrea's family, the first question in my mind was: What are we going to do in Baguio for that long?

Apparently, plenty.

(Under cut: old things in her Malabon house, old photos, and a reintroduction to Baguio)


Incidentally, it was also my first time to see the girlfriend's abode in Malabon -- we didn't have the chance until now to visit (yep, after four years haha!) and here are a few stuff we managed to unearth while we were there:

View of their backyard from their living room
Loving her old photos! (Hi miss!)
Young folks
The letter that totally killed it! It's been four years since I last saw this. Hee. The last time I did was when I gave it to her. In that infamous eyeglass case with those keyboard keys (that we did not find, unfortunately -- fills me with a sort of sadness, but what the hell, it had already fulfilled its purpose hehe)

I loved their house -- it was warm and cozy and friendly. I'd love to return a second time, hopefully we'd be luckier and maybe see a cat or two! :)

Anyway -- her father drove us to Baguio, stopping along the way for bathroom breaks and this obscure restaurant along the North Luzon Expressway that sold fantastic duck. And it was really fantastic -- try it, it's near the Total station on Nlex.

Ducks on the highway!
We stayed in one of the houses in Lexber in Tuba, Benguet -- a half-hour drive from Baguio City proper. A bit far off if you didn't have a car with you, but the peace and quiet was well worth the travel time. When we got there (after four flights of stairs down a steep incline) we found that it was a beautiful two-story house with two beds in a single bedroom upstairs. It had a fantastic unobstructed view of the mountains.

House #24. Come in!
Hello there, Baguio!
Upstairs there was a desk with a window holding the same fantastic view.
Perfect for a writer's retreat, y/y? :)
I get sleepy just looking at this photo hehe. So inviting.
Sunset time. There's a bird somewhere in this photo.

Dinner was at Sizzling Plate Baguio (Carino St., near Kisad Road), where I had double porkchop with rice -- the same moment I realized I'd probably be destroying my diet during this vacation, but what the hell. We live only once. Haha. Oh, btw, they also serve to-die-for sansrival. Mmmm.

Post-dinner, we headed to PureGold to score some... get this, swimming gear. That's right. More on that in the next entry. Anyway, just wanted to note that this PureGold (15 minutes away from Lexber via the long and winding Naguilian Road) is haven to Koreans and Manny Pacquiao's training gym. Oha.

Mandatory shot of my feet before turning in. Good night!

UP NEXT: A full day featuring a trip to a hot spring (in Baguio! Yes!), the BenCab museum, Mt Cloud Bookshop and fire dancers after dinner at Cafe by the Ruins! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment