9.02.2010

butch

Three years in, or almost, and still I am amused/baffled whenever the question of "roles" comes up in casual conversation with friends old and new -- so, who's the "girl", who's the "guy"? Most times I only laugh; yes, I find it funny, but only because it confuses us, more than anything.



The most interesting assessment came a few days ago while I was out with a few older friends, one of whom expressed her confusion. Speaking to me, she said she thought I was "the femme one" because I had been the "quiet one" and Andrea was the more outgoing one that time we met at a Christmas party a few years back.

I laughed – me, femme? Seriously? We were sitting around a table, drinking beer under a clear, smoke-less night sky, and everybody toasted to the absurd thought that was me being femme – me in my sneakers and jeans and a shirt that Andrea grabbed from a department store's boys' section.

I said, "Maybe one of these days Andrea and I would go out with you guys dressed in matching skirts." At least one of them turned pale at the threat.

It's not that I don't like the setup – I respect it and the people who subscribe to it. It's just not for us. Falling into quiet domesticity soon after getting together, sure we've already divided a few roles between us – she cooks, I wash dishes; she sweeps, I clean the bathroom; I send the laundry out, she sorts them when they get back – but the delineation is more because of talent and inclination rather than a conscious attempt to conform to "roles".

So I am handy around the house while she's artsy; so I wear jeans to work while she wears tights and skirts. I have seven pairs of footwear, three of which are sneakers and two of which are actually flipflops; she has a bajillion of various sorts. I have a swagger, whereas she glides. Sometimes I wonder, should I stop resisting being called "butch" and just say "okay, butch it is, BRB getting a tattoo."

But then.

But then I also get weepy over NYT articles about Modern Love. And on certain occasions (albeit very rare), some boys are attractive, too.

Not to mention her hair totally out-butches mine. And I mean to say it does so ALWAYS. Not that I mind dating someone with perfect shorthair always, but still.

"But then looking at you guys – together – man, you're confusing," friend continues. We toast the thought one more time, downing the rest of our respective drinks. Changing the topic, I tell our other single friend about the potential of the dentist across the road.

It's a consensus between Andrea and I – the dentist across the road is HOT. "But then, you know our type, don't you?" I say, slinging a hand around her shoulder.

"Yeah. Each other."

So maybe, just that. Not femme, not butch – just two girls who like each other. Safe enough, isn't that.

4 comments:

  1. "So maybe, just that. Not femme, not butch – just two girls who like each other." This.

    This blog entry -- Totally what *she* would have written, if she were inclined to writing hehe. Seven years, we had to 'explain' this to people, too. No role playing, just two girls who dig each other haha. E yung nano-nostalgic. Anyway, bookswap soon, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. never really thought you had to be one or the other. even with straight couples, i hate when people say things like "sya dapat manligaw kasi sya lalake."
    minsan naisip ko tuloy sana gay na lang din ako para wala nang ganung double standard. lalake lang daw ang pwedeng maghabol kasi degrading daw para sa babae na humabol ng lalake. eh kung babae rin ang hinahabol ko, degrading pa rin ba?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat - Ayun na-nostalgic pa tuloy? :) hehe kitakits! :)

    Ida - I can never really understand how striving to get what you want counts as degrading. Sobrang backward ng thinking na lalaki lang ang pwedeng maging proactive haha the 18th century wants its mindset back! ;) Kaya ako go for it!

    PS magulo rin naman ang mga babae, fyi. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "PS magulo rin naman ang mga babae, fyi. Haha."

    hahaha! i love how you have the credential to say "fyi" about something like that. XD

    ReplyDelete