4.28.2010

dispatches from a lonely room - night 6

Dear love,

Just got home from a night of dancing with Edz, Cy, Almi and Aby at Il Ponticello. They've got a thing there called Take Me Back Tuesdays and the music's all about the 80s and 90s. The crowd was of a fairly familiar age range, and for a pretty long stretch we knew all the songs by heart, it was quite surprising, especially for someone like me who never really listened to proper FM radio until I had to (which was about Grade 6, which means to say I was 12). I pretty much loved the part where I could sing along to all the songs -- the stretch I was particularly fond of started with Next's "Too Close" then INOJ's "Love You Down" then we also had some Christina Aguilera [Genie in a Bottle], Craig David [Fill me in], and even Spice Girls [Stop! :)], Hanson [Mmmbop] and of course the Backstreet Boys [Larger than Life]. It was all good (aha actually Mo Thugs' "All Good" also played - it was all g-double Oh-d good good haha) and for a bit we were dancing until I was turning a bit epileptic by the time we got to Savage Garden's "I Want You." Haha. The music reminded me strongly of high school dances and early college, though I would have also wanted to hear some Prodigy or Chemical Brothers or Britney Spears (yeah). Perhaps they were saving Mousse T's "Horny" for the finale - a pity that, since I LOVE THAT SONG. Haha. Also, there was no Daft Punk or Alice Deejay (I would have wanted to hear Better Off Alone a.k.a. ghosts of 3310 ringtones past) -- but maybe, some other time.

Unfortunately, the space was an enclosed airconditioned space where smoking was allowed, so it was a bit suffocating. The place was packed to the walls - a horde of twentysomethings swimming frantically in a sea of thudding music and shared nostalgia. Whoever said all kinds of remembering have to be quiet?

We left around 2 because Aby and Edz have flights to catch in the morning and Cy and Almi, well, we're working tomorrow, hehe. I'm back here and the room is quiet again and as precautionary measure I am drinking salabat. My voice is hoarse from too much smoke and strenuous singing (haha) and my feet are sore from too much movement. I wish you were here because the moon is full, and as we always say in jest, Sayang naman ang energy (haha) but then again, full moon or no, I'm always wishing you're here these days anyway to come home to, for the simple reason that it's a great feeling, that. Having someone to come home to and burrow against before falling asleep.

Truth be told, when I opened the door I half-expected you to be there, reading in bed; I almost saw you looking up with your sleepy eyes, asking me first thing how the night went. I would have said, It went fine. A bit noisy in places, far too smoky for my reformed lungs, but it was all right. You would have smiled. You would have patted the space beside you, the one that's mine.

You would have said, Sleep now? And I would have said, Yes, yes sleep would be nice. I would have complained about the slight pulsing in my ankle, because I think I may have overexerted myself. You would have laughed and offered to fix it, but I would have declined it because I knew you were tired, and then you'd shift and point to your shoulders and rolling my eyes, I would have gone on to massage the junction of your neck and shoulder anyway, because it puts you to sleep, and after a while I'd doze off myself, because nothing calms me more than your steady breathing.

Of course none of this is happening tonight, because if I wipe the smog from my eyes I could see clearly how the bed is in fact empty, save for our pillows, the blanket and the book I've been reading in bed (still Wild Mind by Natalie Goldberg). But it's all right, it's not for too long now, right, because we're on Night Six which means I only have five more nights to go and I know until then I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment