9.13.2011

the pottermore post

So last week, I got into the Pottermore craze when I finally got my welcome e-mail (after weeks of whining, heh).

The experience so far has proved to be very magical indeed -- the graphics are awesome, you get to find things by zooming in, there's a lot of meta going on about J.K. Rowling's process as a writer (a personal favorite, absolutely -- I have enjoyed what I have read so far about things not in the book), PLUS I totally got my wand and GOT SORTED.

Well, as far as SORTING goes, you all know how that turned out:
Slytherins: Sleek, powerful, misunderstood.
(Here's why I agree with the Sorting Hat's decision-- WARNING: SPOILERS. Just in case you care.)


Upon sorting, I got a Welcome Message from Prefect Gemma Farley, who described the Slytherin emblem -- the serpent -- as the wisest of creatures. 

Don't believe what they tell you

The message starts off by dispelling a few myths -- for most of us who spent most of our time hating Slytherins while reading the books, this was quite an eye-opener. The biggest shocker: Merlin was a Slytherin! Oh wow, I didn't see that coming.
You might have heard rumours about Slytherin house – that we’re all into the Dark Arts, and will only talk to you if your great-grandfather was a famous wizard, and rubbish like that. Well, you don’t want to believe everything you hear from competing houses. I’m not denying that we’ve produced our share of Dark wizards, but so have the other three houses – they just don’t like admitting it.
Coolest and edgiest

Andrea, who got sorted into Ravenclaw, kept repeating that they're the cleverest, quirkiest and most interesting house in Hogwarts! (with an accent to boot, hah - next time you see her, ask her to do it.) So I quickly scanned the Slytherin letter for something to that effect and we have:
Let’s talk about what we are, which is the coolest and edgiest house in this school. We play to win, because we care about the honour and traditions of Slytherin.
There it is. And, like a giddy teenager, I am so down with belonging to a cool and edgy house, you know.

Seeds of greatness, etc.

The other things I agree with, in bullet form:
  • It can be fun, having a reputation for walking on the wild side. (LOL, wild.)
  • But we’re not bad people. We’re like our emblem, the snake: sleek, powerful, and frequently misunderstood. (LOL)
  • We Slytherins look after our own -- once you’ve become a snake, you’re one of ours.
  • You know what Salazar Slytherin looked for in his chosen students? The seeds of greatness. You’ve been chosen by this house because you’ve got the potential to be great, in the true sense of the word
Haha. I like it the sound of Slytherin pride, if I were to be completely honest. I like the sound of destiny and greatness put side-by-side, and the adjective sleek, as well as this seemingly strong sense of belonging to a brood and loyalty.

People say Slytherins are good at Potions. So far, I absolutely suck at it. Haha. I hope these Houses are not in the habit of kicking incompetent members out! :)

Anyway, before I forget -- I also got a wand! Larch and Dragon, 12 and a half inches, Rigid. (Wand talk will never be not funny.)

LOL, rigid.
Here's what they say about Dragon-cored wands:
As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts, though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.
And about Larch wands:
 I find that it always creates wands of hidden talents and unexpected effects, which likewise describes the master who deserves it. It is often the case that the witch or wizard who belongs to the larch wand may never realise the full extent of their considerable talents until paired with it, but that they will then make an exceptional match.
From what I understand, these are newly released written stuff, also from Rowling. I can't think of any other way to describe it -- AWESOME, yeah?

Pottermore formally opens for signups in October. See you there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment