11.12.2009

work and play, together

I am reading Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird", as generously loaned to us by Kat during last night's Amazing Book Swap with Eliza and at 6750 Starbucks. Whew. That was a fun time, gals. Should do it again. I love listening to girls gush about books - although I have to admit I'm a ridiculously slow reader and this really does fill me with much shame. I am still in the middle of A.M. Homes' "Music for Torching" because I've been finding it quite difficult to read about the couple at the center of things, and yet I am completely in love with her language. Just saying.

*

Incidentally, today is also my mother's 12th year death anniversary. Which is important to me because this marks a sort of border. I was twelve when she died. Next year, I will have spent more years without her than with her. All daughters must remember these sorts of things.

Anyway. Last night my sister texted to inform me that there's a small get-together in the house today with food and all. I won't be there for the nth time. Every year I sit down to do something like a memorial post of sorts for Mom on this day I always start by asking myself, Where the F was I last year?

So I'm doing myself a favor, though this won't be evident until this day next year: Today I am reading another book about writing. This morning I woke to the sound of the girl I'm totally in love with fixing her breakfast. I am looking forward to getting to the office and working with people I like. I just realized I play Plants vs Zombies because it makes me feel like a child -- unlike banks and billing statements and meetings, which make me feel old/my age (and which I do a lot of also).

And I really really like pandas.

Anyway, that being said, I hope everyone's having a swell Thursday. ♥

2 comments:

  1. nakakaintriga na talaga ang plants vs zombies na iyan *hmmmm*

    'Amazing Book Swap' - hihi

    *hugs* You and your mom will see each other again ♥

    'This morning I woke to the sound of the girl I'm totally in love with fixing her breakfast. I am looking forward to getting to the office and working with people I like.' -- life can be soooo sweet, I'm happy for you and Drea <3

    and I hope you enjoy Bird by Bird (bible ko yan <3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat! Maglaro ka na kasi ng PvsZ. hahaha. :) Nakakaaliw na pampalipas oras. :)

    Thanks for lending Bird by Bird! It's so inspiring, andami kong natututunan heheh :) I am not surprised it's your bible - everyone who wants to write should read it for excellent witty guidance ;)

    ReplyDelete