4.01.2011

The Great North Luzon Adventure, part 5: Vigan

Under cut: Old streets, old souls, too many photos of calesas, etc.
But first, a photo of low-lying clouds hugging the mountains early in the morning. Oh wow, nagising talaga ako dito:
Good morning!

I've never been to the historic town of Vigan -- the farthest point to the north I've reached apart from Baguio is La Union, during those days when we still tried to surf (LOL). So can you just imagine my excitement when they said we were doing a sidetrip to Vigan? :)

Anyway. Here be photos of the four-hour drive over:
A town too close to the sea
Bridges

The heritage center was really picturesque. We ordered lunch at Cafe Leona and decided to walk around while waiting for our orders.
Blue skies over old streets and a calesa
Wares under the sun
Partly shady
Spot the calesa
Look, a wooden harp!
Signage alert: Tummy Talk
Wooden wind-things
Too many photos of calesas, y/y?
Old-school funeraria
Old-school hearse
Found this detail charming: They've labeled the bricks lining their sidewalks!
Vigan church
Even their tricycles had fancy metal engravings
Calle Crisologo, afternoon
The drive home was spent chasing sunsets:
Same bridge at half past four, the golden hour

Santa, Ilocos Sur

Sunset on the highway
Dinner was at Rose Bowl in Bauang, La Union. Her parents ordered hototay, yangchow rice, beef with cauliflower, crab, and tofu. It was fantastic.
I'm in there somewhere.
Back in Lexber, I was told that the fog in Benguet that night was insane! Too bad I fell asleep along the way, hehe. In all, a good albeit tiring day.


UP NEXT: 50's diner, photos of amphitheatres, and something I loved from Clinton Palanca.

n.b. Andrea's entry and photos on Vigan are here on her LJ =)

2 comments:

  1. Waw! Umabot pa kayo ng Vigan! :) Ang galeng. I went there when I was in college, but I want to go back kasi dati hindi pa'ko masyado nag-aappreciate ng mga bagay-bagay :P hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ida - sobrang naloka ako nung sinabing me sidetrip pa sa Vigan, wanderlust kung wanderlust! :) Balik na, it's a pretty pretty place, super nice pa ng mga tao :)

    ReplyDelete