7.27.2011

her fearful symmetry

Niffenegger's "Her Fearful Symmetry" --
different from "The Time Traveler's Wife"
in its own endearing way.

Just a quick note to say -- oh wow, I can't believe I've already finished this book! And yes, I liked it.

(Spoilers under cut, of course)



Andrea bought this book many, many months ago. Apparently, she began reading it but got bored in the first few pages. (I think her bookmark was at Page 30 or something.) For the record -- it does start somewhat slow -- it opens with a death, as it is a book about haunting.

And I'm all like, Yes, it is boring and slow and painful at first, but wait till you get to the TWINS.

Yes. The book has twins named Julia and Valentina. They're mirror twins -- Julia's body is practically Valentina's mirrored, which is why Valentina has her heart on the right side of her chest, etc. Interesting.

A confession: I finished this book thinking about the Fitch twins off Skins gen 2 throughout. I can't help it that I see Katie in Julia -- dominant, fiercely possessive, and yet for all their outward strength they're actually more vulnerable. More attached.

It's interesting how Niffenegger explores this curious dynamic (I've always wondered how it is to have a twin, even before being exposed to Skins and yes, Sweet Valley. But I guess, twins always wonder how it is to be this single person, so we're even, right?) -- and I think this is the strongest thing about the book. Niffenegger writes this relationship so achingly well -- that desire to be together and to be apart at the same time. Necessary but maddening, isn't it.

Important to note as well that it has a London cemetery as its backdrop, which, under Niffenegger's pen, comes across as cool, quiet and serene rather than gloomy and creepy. Even the depiction of the hauntings are not frightening per se -- more like, melancholic. The ghosts here are my favorite sort -- nostalgic, yearning and unbearably lonely.

Also, there's a Kitten. With a capital K -- always a good sign.

Things I also found interesting: Robert's obsession with the cemetery, Martin's obsession with crossword puzzles, the fact that these twins sleep while cuddling, and Marijke's name. My god, what a name.

Anyway. People would ask if it's better than Time Traveler's Wife -- I can't say. They're differently textured. If you're looking for a love story, that's Time Traveler's Wife, and not this. But I enjoyed Her Fearful Symmetry because it's about sisters -- they're so close, if you read into it harder it's almost incestuous. I mean, I have a sister, and I'd like to believe we're close, haha but I think it's a different thing altogether to have practically two of yourself at the same time. And this book was a good look into that sort of experience, so -- thank you Ms Niffenegger. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Ps. Oh. WHAT AN ENDING.

No comments:

Post a Comment