10.22.2010

new lesbians on my tv!

And by that I mean, on my computer.

We're two episodes into new British lesbian drama Lip Service, which was basically sold to me by Andrea as "The L Word but British." LOL, have I ever mentioned anywhere that one of the things I loved best about L Word was Helena's accent? And we all remember that the last British show she sold to me was SKINS (and well, we all know how that turned out -- emotional investment of the oh god these children give me lots of feelings, etc. and then bam season 4 = BASEBALL BAT WTF ANYWAY--)

So British L Word? Meaning, lesbians with accents in always rainy weather? In summary: SOLD.

(cut for lesbians.)



BBC3 describes it as a show about a group of twenty-something lesbians in Scotland. Episode 1 opens with Frankie (Ruta Gedmintas), a photographer who will bang everything that moves. She's in New York shooting a model and we see her wearing Shane's clothes and we're like, Here we have this series' resident emotionally unavailable but fucking hot lesbian. Game.

Ruta Gedmintas is Frankie Alan in Lip Service
So yeah, she's shooting a model who's about to get married and then they start taking each other's clothes off. First five minutes. Here I turn to Andrea and say, I think we're going to like this. LOL.

Then she gets a phone call and then she turns pensive. I'm torn between, Uh-oh she has a girlfriend and Uh-oh that better be NOT her ex-girlfriend. When she keeps on talking, she obviously looks like the conversation has taken a downturn and I keep an eye on the now half-naked model somewhere in the background, waiting, and I'm then I'm like, That better be death, or something.

And because I'm creepy like that, it is death and so she has to go back to Scotland because her aunt who raised her has died and I'm like, Oooh a lesbian family drama? So she tells the girl about the phone call and the girl is appropriately apologetic BUT then Frankie's just all, "Now, where were we?" Oh, a lesbian that fucks her feelings away. Can't say I haven't seen that one before.

Scaring off children and smoking in the wrong places. Yep.
 Then back home we have Cat, who's logged on to gaydargirls.com (LOL) and is about to go on a blind date, though I don't know how blind it could be when she knows what the girl she's seeing looks like anyway. ANYWAY -- her roommate Tess comes in, still obsessing about her ex-girlfriend's Facebook photos, and here we have this series' equivalent of Alice. I like this show already.

Fiona Button is Tess (left) while Laura Fraser plays Cat

And then they talk about Frankie. Tess says to Cat, Frankie was two years ago. How much more ready can you be? And we're like AHA! Here we go, now we have all the other things.

How much more ready can you be?

So. Emotionally shut-off hot lesbian? Check. With history with best friend? Check. Who is obsessive-compulsive? Check. Who has a roommate who is crazy? Check. Plus, all the boys here - Jay and Cat's brother Ed - are not annoying and rather pleasant. Bonus points all around.

Feature heartsqueeze moment: The first time after two years.
(Oh, Cat. That face looking out a second-floor window.)

Episode 1 also contains hilarious Tess trying to break into ex's bedroom and crawling out from under her bed. I like her loads already.

Apart from our central circle, we also have Sam, Cat's hot cop date. Andrea thinks Sam is hot; I think I'll rather sit in a meeting with her, she looks very efficient to work with haha. But yeah, gotta love the voice. Heard Heather Peace is also a jazz singer? Sweet.

Heather Peace is Sam. Yeah, she's a cop and
I cheated because this cap is from episode 2 LOL.
 And then we have Lou, with whom Tess eventually gets it on. I have reservations about this girl - she looks like she's gonna be one hell of a heartbreaker and I'm kind of attached to Tess already because she's crazy and I think she and Frankie are of the sort I'd like to get wasted with, but what the hell.

Ngl, they're kind of cute together.


There's another girl named Sadie, but she's a creepy kleptomaniac whom we don't meet until episode 2. I kind of wish we don't see her again but she looks like she's going to recur or something. Ah we have this series' Jenny Schecter. Nice one.

So. Episode 2 last night was rather more explicit -- is it just that I haven't seen the L Word in a while, or is this really just more explicit? I mean, I remember Dylan and Helena from Season 3 and my god did that run like an instruction video or something, but the last five minutes of Episode 2 were... of a different sort entirely. Get back to me once you've had it. LOL.

In summary: I don't even obsess about my TV shows anymore, so pardon this because apparently, I miss obsessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment