11.24.2010

endgames

end game. n. people who should end up together. like a couple. despite all odds.

Remember that new lesbian show we began watching a few months back, the one set in Glasgow with all these fine, accented lesbians in very attractive coats? Well, it ended its six-episode first season last week. And yes, as with all lesbian shows with attractive people, I have feelings.

(cut for spoilers through lipservice season1. and lesbians. and anger.)


Figure 1. Meet Cat and Sam.

END GAME. PERIOD.

This is totally my end game. Here be a checklist of things that make an ideal mate:

- Stable and level-headed. So Sam likes putting her foot down, and putting things in proper perspective (You're having a bad day? I saw three dead bodies this week, and you're having a bad day? Get a grip!) and occasionally fighting for the girl (If you think you can make her as happy as I do, then go ahead.) (THIS LINE BTW WINS AT LIFE) -- I don't know about you, but I like strong hands girls. They are dependable and awesome. Especially when they are...

- Properly employed. Have I mentioned that Sam is a cop? And that she is a very hot cop? No? Well yeah, she's a cop and she's a very hot cop.
SOLD.

- With a lovely sense of humor
- Out of the closet
- Charming with parents

- And also very understanding (Gotta go have coffee with your ex with whom you're obviously still too smitten with but unfortunately she's going through a rough patch right now with the disintegration of her family that as her childhood bestfriend you just have to be there for her but I shouldn't worry because you're in love with me even if you didn't say it back the first time I told you? SURE GO AHEAD. I'LL BE RIGHT HERE WORRYING ABOUT YOU WITH MY PHONE.) -- Oh Sam. What the fuck.

- Also, can you believe I'm smitten with a character named Sam? LOL. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT. [/end fiveyearoldjoke]

Which brings me to:

Figure 2. Meet Cat and Frankie.

For old times' sake.

Ok fine, I admit. I'm a sucker for people with histories. It's not the uniquest storyline -- So Cat and Frankie were best friends in high school, then somewhere along the way they fall in love, and right when they're ready to do something about it, Frankie just leaves, and Cat spends a huge part of the two years after picking up the pieces, so to speak.

TWO YEARS.

So yeah, it's two years later, and Cat's finally ready to go back out and try dating and she meets Sam who is sweet and kind and even adorably funny, and then BAM Frankie comes flying back into town, because her aunt just died and she's in the middle of horrible family drama that Cat, being Frankie's erstwhile best friend, has no choice (NO CHOICE! THIS IS A LIE! of course.) but to get sucked back into. Obviously.

She goes with Frankie to the funeral even when Frankie's unwanted there (insert family drama here) and even LIES to Sam about doing an officemate a favor involving a search through police files (insert Frankie's family drama here, again). Not to belittle family drama, of course, family's important but OH MY GOD I AM TRYING TO MOVE ON CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME DO IT. (insert series of expletives here)

So they do coffee, a lot, talking about family, a lot. Somehow, Frankie manages to find a photographer's job in the firm Cat works in as an architect, and suddenly they're doing projects together, like rehabilitating their OLD HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING. Way to go Universe.

In the photo above they're pictured on assignment, and Cat's smoking here with Frankie "for old times' sake" even when she's quit long ago. JESUS CHRIST. (Insert alarm bells here. Smoking for old times' sake is such a metaphor, GOD. I regret not writing this into fiction earlier because now Lip Service has dibs on it. Damn it.)


So yeah. Ok fine, I admit. If Frankie hadn't been totally up against a character like Sam I would have totally wanted her and Cat to get back together, their dysfunctional relationship notwithstanding, because hey, I like the occasional do-over. Sometimes people deserve second chances. *shrug* If Cat had totally been seeing someone infinitely boring or obviously a placeholder, I'd be waving my little Cat/Frankie flag over here.

BUT THE THING IS SHE ISN'T. Dating a place holder. She's dating a keeper. Sam's hot and kind and perfect, and really, coming out of the fantastic glorious mess that was the season finale/episode 6, I'm just, like -- I can't wrap my head around it. Frankie goes all out with the I love you I always have Confession, and Cat's all confused and Sam wants to introduce Cat to her friends and they're moving in together because they're happy and then Cat gets a Nostalgia Package and she's all, I have to go see my brother, WHICH IS A LIE, because then she's actually trying to catch Frankie before she fucks off to New York again and can anybody guess what happens next.

Well, yeah. The scene is too painful to be actually considered hot -- the whole thing interspersed with scenes of Sam being all agitated about Cat's whereabouts = god deck me harder in the chest will you, there's still some air left right here. UGH.

BUT OH YEAH the music destroyed me:


The Unwinding Hours - Knut by thegshift


And then sometime in the middle of it all, Cat spins them around and gets on top and fucking smiles, looking down at Frankie beneath her with that look in her eye (ah fuck she's never looked at Sam like that, ever, it's OVER), smiling so fondly that I throw in my imaginary towel and just concede: It's the writer's end game. Deal with it, K. Here be the remains of my Team Sam heart.

Here be a reference to a Tumblr post, in summary. 

That said: If this series doesn't get renewed, I'd be horribly heartbroken. We all need more Heather Peace in our lives.

EDIT: On other news:
nanowrimo 2010

41,008 / 50,000 words. 82% done!

Had I known I'd have more words for when my characters are getting a bit naughty, I would have gone that way since Word 1. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment